1. Heat oven to 325°F and coat a loaf pan with cooking spray.
2. In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
3. In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine oil, sugar, lemon juice and zest, eggs and buttermilk. Beat until well blended. Add flour mixture and poppy seeds, then mix until just combined. Pour into prepared pan.
4. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 50 minutes to 1 hour.
5. While the bread bakes, combine sugar and lemon juice in a small saucepan. Heat on low until sugar is melted, then brush over warm bread while it’s still in the pan.
6. Transfer pan to a cooling rack and let rest for one hour. Line the rack with aluminum foil, then run a small sharp knife around the edge of the pan and gently remove the loaf. Place, rounded side up, on prepared rack and let cool completely. For best taste and texture, wrap cooled loaf tightly in foil and store at room temperature for 24 hours before slicing.Tip:
Make miniature loaves to give as hostess gifts or as favors at spring celebrations. Adjust the baking time as needed; generally, 3 3×5 3/4" mini loaves take about 25-30 minutes to cook.
Brought to you by