1. Preheat oven to 375ºF. Grease a 9” x 13” shallow baking dish (preferably glass or ceramic).
2. Melt butter over medium heat in a medium-sized saucepan. Add onion, stir and simmer for 5-8 minutes until browning begins.
3. Place an even layer of polenta in the bake dish. Add an even layer of fresh or thawed squash, and then a layer of crumbled goat cheese.
4. Return to your saucepan and add half and half or cream and bring to a simmer. Add flour, one tablespoon at a time, stirring to incorporate until sauce has thickened.
5. Remove from heat and pour evenly over the layers in your baking dish to coat.
6. Sprinkle 1 cup of the Italian cheese blend over the top of the casserole and place in oven.
7. Bake for 20 minutes. Gently stir casserole and add remaining cup of Italian cheese blend on top. Bake for 10 more minutes.
8. Allow to rest for 5-10 minutes and serve.
Tip: This dish may need more or less time to cook depending upon the age and power of your oven. Keep an eye on your casserole to make sure it’s not over- or under-cooking, adjusting the time or temperature as necessary.
Tip: Frozen squash is suggested to help cut down on prep time for this recipe. Feel free to substitute fresh squash if it is available to you. Butternut squash is in season during colder months.
Brought to you by